Lincombe Hall History
The Lincombe Hall Hotel in Torquay has a rich and varied history, having been built in 1841 as a summer home for Dr Alexander Sutherland.
Dr. Sutherland completed his medical studies in Edinburgh where he graduated as a doctor in 1805. Continuing his studies he became physician to St Luke's Hospital, London and began to specialise in "insanity" with his efforts being concentrated solely in that direction. In 1841, at the age of 60 and with a well merited reputation in the field of treatment of the insane preceding him, Dr. Sutherland "withdrew to Torquay" where he lived at Silver Hill until his death in 1861 at the age of eighty. It is thought the Sutherland family owned Silver Hill until the 1880`s, possibly staying there for just a few weeks each year.
In 1887 on the breakup of the Palk Estates, the freehold of Silver Hill was sold to then owner Mrs Scott. Over the following 30 years Silver Hill House was sold a number of times.
The house next to the tennis courts was built before Silver Hill, probably in the late 1830`s and was originally called Thornton, later changing its name to Ardfin. This house was sold and let numerous times over the following years.
1910's: On 8th October 1919 the house was last referred to as Silver Hill House. The following week, on 15th October 1919, the name is changed to Lincombe Hall.
1920's: After 7th April 1920, it is thought Ardfin, the building next to the tennis courts, was bought by the owners of Lincombe Hall and both buildings converted to a hotel. The hotel was then greatly enlarged. Once the purchase of Ardfin was complete, the passageway connecting the two houses was built. The hotel was extended to the east and west and the conservatory (now the reception area) was added, as was the belvedere on top of the main building. The Palladian porch was added and was used as the main hotel entrance.
1930's: The block containing gentleman's toilets with bedrooms above was built in around 1933. At a later date this area was changed to an indoor spa bath but is now currently where our TV lounge and two ground floor bedrooms are situated.
1940's: Bedrooms were built above the dining room, which was originally built as a ballroom, and the dining room itself was extended at the front and the large glass windows added to give a view of the gardens.
1960's: Throughout the fourties and fifties a fully equipped garage service was offered for the newly developing "holiday by car". This lead to the addition of the present sweeping driveway in 1966. During this time, the entrance and reception area used today was also formed.
1970's: With the owners still not entirely content with the facilities on offer, in 1978 the outdoor swimming pool was added.
1980's: A leisure suite with spa bath was developed in the rooms beyond our current TV lounge.
2009: The new owner's, Brett and Joanne Powis, took over the hotel and started a programme of complete renovation, to include the two swimming pools, replacement of the roofs on both buildings, the gardens and all public areas and bedrooms.
2014: In the four and a half years since owning the Lincombe Hall, every bedroom has been renovated, every bathroom replaced, and new boilers have been installed. At the beginning of this year the entire car park was re-tarmaced. We have now also started 're-doing' the bedrooms with a view to replacing furniture and in some rooms double glazing the windows. We are continuing to upgrade every area of the hotel so that standards continue to rise. We aim to be the best three star hotel in the Torbay area, but with four star accommodation and services.
2016: Lincombe Hall Hotel goes adult only, with no children under the age of 16 staying at the hotel. We hope to create a calm, tranquil environment all year round for those who wish to visit us during school holidays this will now be possible.
2017: The Lincombe Hall Hotel is awarded it's AA 4 Star rating!!!